• Designed Literary Journalism and Creative Nonfiction courses for graduate students in the Hollins University Master of Arts Liberal Studies program; taught 1997-2004, 2011-present.
• Guest lecturer, Tufts University Center for Narrative and Documentary Practice; 2011-present.
• Designed and taught Art of the Profile, course for students at Community High School for Arts & Academics, 2010.
• Taught Developmental English and English 111 and 112 (composition), Virginia Western Community College, 1997-2000.
• Guest lectures at University of Virginia at Wise, Radford University, Virginia Tech, Washington & Lee University, Ferrum College (ongoing).
Recent Speaking Engagements
• American Medical Directors Association, March 2012 annual meeting, Ann Marie Filken keynote lecture, “Before I Forget.”
• Windsor Hill United Methodist Church, March 2012, Lenten lecture on the power of diversity.
• Washington & Lee University, Pam Luecke’s business reporting class, March 2012, on how to cover globalization’s impact on local economies.
• Speaker and panelist, “Lessons From the Caregiving Beat,” for By Design 2012 conference, February 2012.
• Blue Ridge Writers Conference, Hollins University, “Notice What You Notice,” January 2012.
• Speaker, “Get Out of Your ZIP Code: Lessons from the Diversity Beat,” October 2011, CityWorks (X)po conference on small city movement.
• Nieman Storyboard, journalism criticism/interview on “Caring for Tommy,” 2008.
To contact me about speaking or teaching opportunities, please e-mail email@example.com.