Upcoming Speaking Engagements
• Penn State University’s Foster-Foreman Conference of Distinguished Writers, Oct. 2, 2013: Reading from and answering questions about “Factory Man” in a journalism symposium that kicks off with a talk by Dean Baquet, managing editor of The New York Times, on Oct. 1.
• Hollins University, Oct. 10, 2013, 2:25 p.m. “Translating the Liberal Arts into a Career in Writing and Publishing,” Career Connection Conference; panel moderated by Jeanne Larsen.
• Roanoke Regional Writers Conference, Hollins University, Jan. 24-25, 2014.
Recent Speaking Engagements
• Windsor Hill United Methodist Church, March 2012, Lenten lecture on the power of diversity.
• Washington & Lee University, Pam Luecke’s business reporting class, March 2012, on how to cover globalization’s impact on local economies.
• Speaker and panelist, “Lessons From the Caregiving Beat,” for By Design 2012 conference, February 2012.
• Blue Ridge Writers Conference, Hollins University, “Notice What You Notice,” January 2012.
• Speaker, “Get Out of Your ZIP Code: Lessons from the Diversity Beat,” October 2011, CityWorks (X)po conference on small city movement.
• Nieman Storyboard, journalism criticism/interview on “Caring for Tommy,” 2008.
Teaching Experience• Designed Literary Journalism and Creative Nonfiction courses for graduate students in the Hollins University Master of Arts Liberal Studies program; taught 1997-2004, 2011-present.
• Guest lecturer, Tufts University Center for Narrative and Documentary Practice; 2011-present.
• Designed and taught Art of the Profile, course for students at Community High School for Arts & Academics, 2010.
• Taught Developmental English and English 111 and 112 (composition), Virginia Western Community College, 1997-2000.
• Guest lectures at University of Virginia at Wise, Radford University, Virginia Tech, Washington & Lee University, Ferrum College (ongoing).
To contact me about speaking or teaching opportunities, please e-mail email@example.com.